Sunday, May 15, 2011

Raining Umbrellas: Notebook & Originality


I thought since there is nothing creative inside my notebook to share, that at least I could decorate the outside, and not only give myself something to post here, but make it somewhere inviting, that I want to continue to go, that will continue to play a part in my creativity. I had fun decorating it. Then I had fun setting up the shot, though I have absolutely no experience or expertise in this type of still life. Though I have to say that my interest is piqued. This was just a quick shot on the outside patio before the sun started to go down, then a couple of textures added.

I have--of course--been thinking a lot about creativity this week. It's interested me that I've done all collage work when my greatest passion/pleasure is photography. Then it hit me that photography is in a way just simple. It's totally blissful, and yes, I still have much to learn, but there's never the thought that it's too hard, that maybe I can't really do it (except may be to the degree or quality I'd hope); but it's easy, I want to do it and I do. Collage, on the other hand, though it totally beckons me, takes me all the way to my creative edge. I'm never really sure that I can do it, or if I do it once, that I can ever do it again. I'm always afraid to let go, afraid I'll make a mistake, afraid I'll "ruin" it, so I hold back. It dawned on me this week that it's symbolic of the way I "hold back" in so many ways in my life. It's the edge in more ways than one...

Here's where I am challenged in photography. I long to grow my own unique and  individual style. Right now I look at my flickr pages and see photos that are all over the map, with no defining sensibility or feel. I know it's because I'm learning and discovering and experimenting, trying new things, heading down different avenues. I know this is a good thing. And people tell me that a personal and authentic creative style will emerge as i continue to play. But it doesn't hurt to put the wish out there...


Here's a fantastic quote I came across yesterday. It warmed my heart immensely, and gave me hope!

At the heart of each of us, whatever our imperfections,
there exists a silent pulse of perfect rhythm,
which is absolutely individual and unique,
and yet which connects us to everything else.

~George Leonard (1923-2010) American writer
It's been a great two weeks creatively. Thanks so much, Vicki, and all of you who have come along for the ride, visited here, and were kind enough to leave comments. I'm looking forward to what the next two have to offer!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks for sharing from your heart, Debby. I had chills reading your words and the quote at the bottom of your post. Your notebook cover looks awesome and I love the project you did for ORIGINALITY...such a talented lady. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to read your post Debby. Your photograph of your notebook is beautiful, with lovely tones and very well styled and composed.

    I really know what you mean when you say you look at your Flickr and feel a bit all over the shop... I have felt like that for a long time and it's only now that things are beginning to come together in my mind, I'm forming my own mental picture of what my photo style is.

    Please persevere in your search, because I am definitely enjoying travelling a bit with you :)

    x

    ReplyDelete

There seems to be a problem with posting comments. I'm trying to figure it out. I so appreciate you wanting to comment, and please, feel free to email me anytime at debby.aloha@gmail.com