Saturday, May 21, 2011

Joy


The deeper sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.
Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
And the selfsame well from which your
laughter rises was oftentime filled with your tears...
When you are joyous, look deep into
your heart and you shall find it is only
that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy
When you are sorrowful look again in
your heart, and you shall see that in truth
you are weeping for that which has been
your delight. 

From Khalil Gibran's The Prophet

This has been one of my very favorite quotes or as long as I remember--my first favorite quote actually. Joy is our third word for our third week. Something I've definitely experienced, but not much for the past three years or so (except for times during my three months on Moloka'i). Maybe this project and remembering this quote will help bring it flowing back into my life again....

This is my first attempt at creating a collage that includes one of my own photos. I'm excited about it... I've had this vision since I started getting serious about photography but had no idea how it all might come together. I really enjoyed doing this. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have happened without the creative nudges of this ecourse. And for that, I'm grateful...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Debby

    Thank you for the wise and wonderful words and above all, for the very original and arty collage. I really like what you did with your photo and the colour combination is in perfect harmony. Can I ask you what the base is made of? 'cause that kind of grey-blue is amazing and the subtle writing makes it even more attractive to me ... Thanks! cococita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cococita,
    Thanks so much once again for your wonderful comments. The background is just a piece of craft paper. I know, I love the color also, and the subtle writing. It's one of my favorite papers and I thought it was perfect for the background of this piece. Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete

There seems to be a problem with posting comments. I'm trying to figure it out. I so appreciate you wanting to comment, and please, feel free to email me anytime at debby.aloha@gmail.com