Saturday, May 7, 2011

Creating ~ Assignment I, Raining Umbrellas Lessons in Creativity eCourse

Double-click for a larger view.

As regular readers of this blog know, owning myself as an artist is a big stumbling block. So, the first part of this first assignment--write down at least one factor that played a large part in who you are an an artist today--had me panicked. It went something like this:

What?…  oh shit… I must have gotten myself into the wrong course… this one is for artists… OMG, what am I going to do... I have to get out of it... they'll know I don't belong here... is it too late to get a refund… ???? and on and on until I was practically shaking in my boots.

But titles aside, I do love to create and I am totally in love with the creative process itself. Letting go into the unknown, being lost in the moment, without idea or agenda, and watching something come into being that did not previously exist, is truly amazing.

I so enjoyed making this collage, one of my favorite things to create, and the first one I've done in a long while. I enjoyed the process of looking at the factors that have led to me being the "artist" I am today--namely loss and grief, and my love of nature and flowers and gardens. Then opening the lens wider, and creating the collage of the things that have formed me into the person I am today. A nice reminder of obstacles overcome, gifts aplenty, and a great invitation to deeper understanding, acceptance, loving-kindness.

So thanks, Vicki, for a great personal and creative challenge!

7 comments:

  1. Wow, wow, wow! This is amazing, Debby! I can't believe you struggle with calling yourself an artist, when it's very clear that you are.

    Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Btw, I had to laugh at the way you were describing all of your concerns about the course, being an artist, etc. Sorry if I caused you to feel pressured, though. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my Debby... this is amazing! Yes, it is beautiful and filled with meaning, but craft wise is truly spectacular! I'm really taken aback by the level of detail of this true collage :)
    I love your mention of the creative process... it is what drives me to :) being able to do it and let my mind wonder in and out of it it's wonderful!
    Thank you for sharing :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Debby

    I so understand what you mean!! Great post and lovely collage!
    As Vicki above I agree, you are an artist :-)

    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your lovely and encouraging comments. I deeply appreciate you coming by and taking the time to look and write. Time to see what next week brings, yes?

    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Debby, your collage is just amazing! So meaningful, so balanced, so moving, and also so beautiful: the colors, the composition, the idea, the textures! You are truly an artist... Great job!!
    And also, I am glad to hear that writing and blogging helps you. I send you all my energies for the healing process!
    Silvia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Debby

    This is real art. I love the texture, how you express the feelings and the themes of your life, the perfect balance between word and image, every single detail which is put so carefully ... The way creativity works for you is so recognizable. Looking forward to see your other creations too. I wish you a beautiful month of May, full of creative joy. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

There seems to be a problem with posting comments. I'm trying to figure it out. I so appreciate you wanting to comment, and please, feel free to email me anytime at debby.aloha@gmail.com